Friday, March 2, 2012

Cake Wreck

My daughter's first birthday is coming up and I want her to have a really special cake for her birthday.  After spending some time looking at pictures of cakes on Google, I found one that I really want to make.  The one problem is that it will cost me over $100 at my local bakery!  I am just amazed at how much it costs to buy a cake. So I decided I would make her birthday cake myself... it can't be that hard right? Wrong!  I was so excited I went out and bought all the stuff I would need to make her a test smash cake and got to work.  Well it turned out alright, but nothing like I wanted it to look like.  My dreams were dashed to say the least until I was at a local craft store and saw they had a Wilton beginner's cake decorating class that I could take.  So I signed up.  I purchased my supplies and went to the first class.   At the first class I learned how to level a cake, tort the cake (fill it), fill a piping bag, and pipe stars... I was pumped!  At the second class I learned how to ice the cake, transfer an image onto the cake with piping gel and decorate simple designs.  By this point in the story I think I am ready I can bake and decorate a cake for a friend's coworker... no problem.

As the birthday was approaching I purchase all of the supplies I needed to bake a 10 inch double layer cake... my first "professional" cake (I am using the term professional very loosely).  I ended up over cooking the cake and when I went to level and tort the cake, the sides just fell apart.  So my very first cake was a disaster.  I ended up piecing it back together and this was the finished product.....












I lovingly call this one the cake wreck.  Does the cake have the measles or what?

Not exactly the high quality professional looking cake I was going for.  Oh well, there is always next time!